How to Use IGTV for Business
Video marketing is the new buzzword in the world of digital marketing. Videos are turning out to be one of the most engaging content formats mainly because you can convey any information more fluently to the target audience.
With videos gaining massive popularity, social media sites are coming up with a ton of new features for users to create and upload video content. One such latest feature called IGTV was introduced by Instagram in the mid of 2018. In this article, we will discuss what IGTV is and how businesses can use it.
Firstly, What is IGTV?
IGTV is an app by Instagram for watching long-form videos both vertical and landscape. Although there’s a standalone IGTV app, you’ll also be able to watch and upload videos from within the Instagram app.
Instagram first introduced videos with Instagram Stories which became a huge hit. Later in June 2018, IGTV was launched. What’s interesting about IGTV is that it allows you to share long-form vertical and landscape videos that are up to 60 minutes long easily unlike feed posts which only allow you to upload videos only up to 1 minute. IGTV starts playing as soon as you open the app just like turning on the TV.
Just like TV, IGTV has channels. On IGTV the creators are the channels. Anyone can create a channel and start sharing videos up to an hour either in the app or on the web.
Having seen what IGTV is, let us now move on and see how to create an IGTV channel and upload a video. Then, we will get on to how businesses can use IGTV.
How to Create a Channel and Upload Video?
- First, you need to create an IGTV channel to upload videos.
- Download the IGTV app from Google Play or App Store.
- IGTV app Sign up will be prompted (if you have logged into your native Instagram account, it will take that profile).
- Find the settings gear icon in the right side corner, click on create a channel.
- Congratulations, your channel is ready.
How to upload a video to IGTV?
Now, that your channel is created, let’s see how to upload a video.
- Click on the IG TV icon, which is found on the main page. This will take you to your channel.
- Click on + in the right-hand corner to add a video.
- Choose a video and tap Next.
- Tap and slide the image at the bottom of the screen to select a cover image or tap + to add from your camera roll and tap Next.
- Add title and description, Add keywords here so that people find your video on search.
- You can choose to post a preview of your video to Instagram feed and your profile. You can tap Edit Preview to adjust how your IGTV video will be previewed. You can also use Instagram.com to upload videos from the web. Some Important Specifications for IGTV
Format of video: MP4.
Length of video: Videos must be at least 1 minute long. The maximum length of 15 minutes when uploading from a mobile device and 60 minutes when uploading from the web.
Size: Videos less than 10 minutes 650MB, videos up to 60 minutes 3.6GB.
Resolution: Minimum 720 pixels.
Orientation: Vertical (portrait) or horizontal (landscape).
Aspect ratio: Vertical IGTV videos aspect ratio of 9:16, and horizontal videos should be 16:9.
Cover Photo Size: 420px by 654px (or 1:1.55 ratio). Once you upload a cover photo, you cannot edit it, so choose a cover photo with care.
How Businesses Can Use IGTV?
- More Reach and Engagement: Use IGTV to reach your existing followers in a new way. Not many businesses are using IGTV, and you can use this platform to post video content to reach your followers. People who are interested in long-form videos can now access your IGTV channel. This improves engagement and improves brand awareness among your existing followers. Due to the longer length of videos, you have more time to tell them about your brand and create more engagement.
2. Provide Value: In today’s world, a business that believes in hardcore selling does not survive. You need to educate your customers or followers about how your business’s product or service can benefit the customer. Emerge as a provider of a solution to your customer’s problems. Long-form engaging videos provide the perfect opportunity for you to do this. When you consistently provide value, your customers value you and are ready to buy from you.
3. Create Familiarity: Post videos of behind-the-scenes of your business and humanize it. Give a walkthrough of your business. Show the workings and the atmosphere. Followers love the feeling of being an insider. This creates trust. They come back repeatedly for more information about your company.
4. Answer Questions: Businesses can use videos to address the concerns by answering frequently asked questions by their followers. This shows that the business cares about the opinions of the customers. This creates engagement and builds trust and branding.
5. Bring Discussions with Experts: Businesses can post videos of experts who advocate and support the utility of a company’s products and services and its benefits. This can help establish trust and encourage customers to buy the products.
6. Hashtags: Like on Instagram, you can provide relevant hashtags in the description. This will make your videos discoverable and reach more people. Don’t go overboard with the hashtags. Only use the relevant ones so that you show up on the proper searches.
7. Include Clickable Links: Include relevant clickable links in your description. This can drive traffic to your website or other social media channels. It can also be to a gallery or your portfolio. It can also be connected to show a product link. Use this option innovatively to get better traction from your videos.
8. Create Video Series: Give your viewers a feeling of watching a TV channel. Create a video series so that they come back repeatedly to watch the next segment. This is a great way to create brand loyalty and interest. We have seen how serial TV programs have run for years. We can try to achieve that with IGTV.
9. Study Analytics: Use the metrics provided by IGTV to learn what video content works and what does not. Fine-tune your video production to give people what they like. Carefully analyze the duration of the video, the time you posted, and the day of posting in tandem with these numbers to develop a video strategy.
Video is gaining immense popularity, and a huge number of people from all age groups watch videos. Therefore, it makes sense for businesses to use it in their marketing strategy. IGTV is the new player in the market, and its easy integration with the native Instagram app makes it easy to use. So, create a channel today and start using it for your business.